Skip to content

Remember This?

Beaver Board: the story and former glory

Beaver Board: the story and former glory

A fond look back at an era when paper mills thrived in Thorold
Times, and underwear, have changed

Times, and underwear, have changed

Thanks to Cathy Henderson, who sent us these photos of a billboard placed on Front Street in 1978 that caused a great deal of controversy
Check out Allanburg School's Class of 1914

Check out Allanburg School's Class of 1914

This edition of Remember This? looks back at Allanburg School
A look back at 19th century schools in Thorold

A look back at 19th century schools in Thorold

This weeks' Remember This? column looks further into the local schools in the 1800s, as told in Thorold Township and Town, 1786-1932 published by John H. Thompson
When teachers took turns boarding with pupils’ families

When teachers took turns boarding with pupils’ families

This weeks' Remember This? column looks at local schools in the 1800s
Remember when Allanburg and Port Robinson boasted dozens of businesses?

Remember when Allanburg and Port Robinson boasted dozens of businesses?

A good indicator of the thriving times in Allanburg and Port Robinson in the late 1800s was the existence of eight hotels or inns between them. From Thorold Township and Town, 1786-1932, published by John H. Thompson.
Remembering Thorold's early businesses and owners

Remembering Thorold's early businesses and owners

From Thorold Township and Town, 1786-1932, published by John H. Thompson
Remember Thorold's earliest bylaws?

Remember Thorold's earliest bylaws?

From paving the road from Port Robinson to Thorold, to establishing a cemetery, in this week's history column, we recall some of the earliest bylaws passed in council
When the Canal was closed on Sundays

When the Canal was closed on Sundays

This week's history column recalls when the Sabbath Observance law was strictly enforced on the canal. Taken from Thorold Township and Town, 1786-1932, published by John H. Thompson.
Remember when stone replaced wooden locks?

Remember when stone replaced wooden locks?

In this week's history column, we recall when the first wooden Welland Canal locks were replaced with stone; from Thorold Township and Town, 1786-1932, published by John H. Thompson