Skip to content

COVID-19: University of Guelph to provide housing option for frontline workers

Frontline workers wanting to physically distance themselves from family at home while working will have option of staying in campus residences
East residence townhouses at the University of Guelph. Submitted photo

The University of Guelph is offering temporary housing for health-care workers, emergency responders and others affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

In a news release Tuesday, the U of G said that it will provide campus residences to those frontline workers looking to live apart from their families during the pandemic because of their frontline work.

There will be a nominal cost.

“Health-care workers and emergency responders are on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Irene Thompson, U of G’s director of student housing services.

“Many of these critical workers are concerned about the possibility of carrying the virus home and exposing their family members. Providing them with housing options felt like something tangible the University could do to help,” she said.

The University was asked by local nurses and other health-care workers and agencies about using U of G campus residences temporarily.

The U of G currently has 172 students still living on campus in one residence area, most of them foreign students. Physical distancing measurea re in place. The University continues to provide food and grocery options at that location.

The apartment-style residences earmarked for the community will also accommodate physical distancing, including single rooms and washrooms. Accommodations can be made to house families if necessary.

The University will make the housing available through July, with bookings daily, weekly or monthly.

"Pricing is based on the cost of keeping the buildings operational and ensuring hygiene and safety measures necessary to prevent and mitigate the spread of COVID-19."

Health-care workers and emergency responders who are interested in temporary accommodations should call 519-824-4120, Ext. 58124.